Whether you can believe it or not, we are well and truly in to November and the colder season is most definitely starting to set in.
While this means many lovely and exciting things: halloween, bonfire night, and spending the festive season being cosy with family, the winter months can often bring with them a far less inviting change: the ‘winter itch’.
The significant temperature drop and lack of warm sunshine means that skin can become drier, itchy, flaky and generally more aggravated, and this can bring discomfort and irritation. So, to ensure that you enjoy the colder months without worrying about the health of your skin, make sure to follow these seven simple steps to prevent winter dryness…
- Cleanse the skin, but don’t over do it- it is important to keep the skin clean to prevent infection and the spreading of bacteria. However it is important not to over-cleanse, as this can strip the skin of its natural oils and can worsen dryness. Once a day should be sufficient.
- When cleansing, don’t use too much hot water- hot water can irritate the skin, and can cause further dryness and redness. Use lukewarm water when you have a bath or shower, and moisturise immediately afterwards to lock in hydration and prevent moisture loss.
- Moisturise daily- it’s important to apply a moisturiser to the skin, to give it a little helping hand by instantly providing hydration and nourishment. We always advise a moisturiser that is free from parabens, paraffin, artificial fragrances and other nasties, such as our Body Hydrator or our Four Seasons Hand Therapy creams. If you can, try to moisturise before bed, to allow the cream to sink in and deeply hydrate the skin while you sleep.
- Protect yourself from the wind- during the colder months, the wind is much stronger, much colder and much more frequent, which can cause damage to the skin. To help protect your skin from the drying effects of the wind, use Zeoderm, whose brilliant ingredient Zeolite will act as a barrier to keep wind out and keep moisture in.
- Exercise for 20-30 minutes a day to give skin a healthy glow- even if you wouldn’t consider yourself an active person, exercise is really important to maintain our circulatory and lymphatic systems, which help to flush out toxins and keep the skin glowing and gorgeous! A brisk, 20 minute walk each day will make the world of difference to dry, lacklustre skin.
- Eat omega 3 fatty acids- omega 3s can be a vital source of moisture for the skin. They’re found in abundance in our favourite ingredient Sea Buckthorn, as well as in oily fish such as tuna and salmon, and certain nuts and seeds such as walnuts and flaxseed. The omegas help to retain the skin’s moisture levels from the inside out, and can help to counteract winter dry skin.
- Drink plenty of water- drinking water is essential to our hydration levels, and this includes the hydration levels of our skin. They say that when you feel thirsty you’re already dehydrated, so try to avoid this by drinking 8 glasses a day.
Do you have any skin-saving suggestions yourself? Let us know in the comments below, we’d love to hear them at Salcura HQ!